What does it all mean!
Music theory definitely has some weirdness embedded in it. I won’t go into the history of the details as to why a lot of it is the way it is because quite honestly, for most people it simply doesn’t matter. They want the condensed “Reader’s Digest” version.
Here is what you’ll need to know to understand this website.
NOMENCLATURE / JARGON
- MAJOR = MAJOR
- minor = 1 single half-tone less than MAJOR
- Augmented = 1 single half-tone more than MAJOR
- diminished = 1 single half-tone less than minor or 2 less than MAJOR
There is additional information in the section on INTERVALS.
- ♮ = natural note
- ♯ or # = sharp note or chord
- ♭ or b = flat note or chord
- dim or ° = diminished chord
- + or aug = augmented chord
- M, MAJ or MAJOR = MAJOR
- -, m, min or minor = minor